Britain’s King Charles III has issued a public statement saying that “the law must take its course” following the arrest of his younger brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew.
Andrew, 66, was taken into custody on Thursday morning on suspicion of misconduct in public office, in connection with a long-running investigation tied to documents released in the Jeffrey Epstein case. Thames Valley Police confirmed the arrest, which comes shortly after a campaign group urged authorities to investigate allegations that Andrew shared confidential government information with the convicted sex offender during his time as a UK trade envoy.
In his statement released by Buckingham Palace, King Charles said he had learned of the arrest “with the deepest concern” and stressed that the matter must be investigated “in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.”
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” the King said, adding that the family would offer its full support and cooperation with law enforcement. Charles also noted that it would be inappropriate to comment further while the investigation is ongoing.
The arrest marks a historic moment: Andrew is believed to be the first modern member of the British royal family to be formally arrested. He has previously been stripped of his royal titles and public roles due to his association with Epstein and related controversies. Andrew has denied any criminal wrongdoing linked to those allegations.
The King’s comments underline a firm stance that no one is above the law, even within Britain’s royal family — a message echoed by senior government figures and legal experts following the arrest.